A Quick Word About Motivation
This is sometimes seen as the big ugly word many throw around but lack by admission. “I want to get into better shape but I just can’t seem to get motivated,” is the broken record heard around the world. But how do you overcome this wall you’ve built?
You need to set a goal. Do something that will force you to commit and that in turn will motivate you to stay the course. Some strategies include:
- Take a “before picture.”
- Do you have a date that you are looking forward to? Wedding? Vacation? Birthday? Write it down.
- Sign up for a local run or other competitive event.
- Create a friendly rivalry.
- Write up a commitment contract with yourself and have a friend witness it.
- Write down realistic goals and a timeline towards the new you.
Notice these are all tangible things, not just ideas or thoughts floating in your head. Create a vision, a real life commitment to yourself to hold you accountable. Additionally, it is best to tell a friend or family member your goals which make them all that much more real and urgent.